Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pre-semester thoughts.

The countdown has begun for the completion of my bachelor degree: 32 weeks. With that in mind, I will give some pre-semester thoughts and do some reflection on the past.

January 2005: I began my college career this semester at Campbell University with a double-major of athletic training and biology and aspirations of a career in orthopedic surgery. After a disappointing year, I realized I hated going to school there so I left in December. I have returned to the campus once to visit a friend. That's it. There are many bad memories associated with that place and I prefer not to relive them.

January 2006: After leaving Campbell, I began working on a medical program that I could do in less than four years. In fact, I did it in 3 months. I obtained two certifications: CNA-I and HHA. At this point, neither of these certifications mean very much. Four and a half years later, I have let the certifications lapse. I did use them for about a year and a half working with a wonderful teenage girl who had a brain injury as a result of a ruptured AVM. (During this semester, I also took classes at NC State which I enjoyed a lot.)

August 2006: I started a medical program which would take up the next two years of my schooling. I began working on my EMS degree that would allow me to obtain my EMT-Paramedic certification. I really enjoyed this program and tended to excel in it. It was a tough program but, in the end, I made it through.

August 2008: I graduated with my degree in EMS, started working full-time...and continued taking classes. I took classes online through Wake Tech and through NC State for the next year. And then I decided to go back full-time to school and finish my bachelor degree. But where?

August 2009: I found my place. A place I love. Appalachian State. I have been here ever since. I originally returned to exercise science for a major (close enough to athletic training that I could get several credits from that to count for exercise science). However, I realized it was going to be years before I finished. As a result, I changed to a major which I have really enjoyed the classes: psychology.

Here I am, a year later, and I have 2 semesters left until I finish my degree! It is strange to say that (and I'm sure that next semester it will be even more difficult). I have decided to punish myself with 18 credit hours this semester and am attempting to work on some research with one of the psychology professors. (On top of that, I'm still working back home on the rig.) It is going to be a challenge to finish in one piece -- but, overall, I am looking forward to my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment