Monday, April 4, 2011

Relieving frustration

Today ended up being a rough day.

For starters, I woke up tired. Never a good thing. (The good thing was that I slept through most of the night. Not something I did any night last week. Must have been being up most of the night for work on Saturday that reset me.) After I got up, I had little motivation to do any schoolwork/studying. Instead, I cleaned a little and unpacked from the weekend. I made me some brunch and found other things to procrastinate with.

I headed to campus to (unfortunately) do some cramming for my exam. I did not get to study as much as I wanted to over the weekend because it ended up being much busier than I was planning on (isn't that how it always is?). I hate cramming. Absolutely hate it. But I did it for this exam. Grades are now posted for that exam and I'll go find it on my professor's door. At this point, I'm praying that did better than I feel about it. Skinner, Chomsky, Vygotsky, Piaget -- they all blur together.

Then, after leaving my exam, I had a sinking feeling. I didn't bring my workbook to campus for my second class. I quickly pulled out my calendar and, yep, we were doing an assignment out of there today. So, I tried to run and catch the bus. Fail. As a result, I decided I would try to walk home, get the workbook and make it back downstairs in time to catch the bus. Again, fail. I was hiking the final hill up to my apartment when the bus was going by.

Also, after I realized I had forgotten to take not just 1, but 2 quizzes for my health class last night. It's not like I should have forgotten...it was on the calendar on my wall and on my calendar in my bag. Totally shouldn't have forgotten...but I did. And I was frustrated with myself. I obviously wasn't thinking last night (to get those quizzes done) or today (to remember my book -- I'm still hoping I was thinking when I was taking my test).

So, the mile and a half-ish (plus) that I walked ended up being good therapy for me, and a rather good stress reliever. It was an absolutely beautiful and sunny day. The wind was blowing and it felt so good out there. I was able to clear my head while getting a good workout (that last hill is a killer). I did manage to flare up my shin splits, try really hard to roll my ankle (thank you inclines), cause cramps in my calves and get just a few blisters on my feet (silly sand was blowing around and ended up finding its way into my ballet flats...oh well). All of this soreness was after a rough shift on Saturday which caused immense amounts of soreness. (Jon was making fun of me yesterday because I was waddling and walking really funny. However, he was super-sweet and rubbed out my legs and back/neck and made it much better. He's really too good for me...but don't tell him that! He might figure it out before the wedding...)

As a result of the "injuries" I sustained on the walk home, I crawled in bed with a pair of ice packs on my leg. Jon was wanting to do laundry after class today so I informed him that I was already home (and why I was skipping my class). He told me when he was ready to be picked up and I came to collect him. He came back home with me, did his laundry and enjoyed a very good dinner (so he says) that I made: aloha chicken, rice, roasted potatoes and corn. (Yes, I realize that's a lot of starch BUT I need rice with my aloha chicken...no exceptions...and I needed to cook some potatoes before they start sprouting. It worked well.) After dinner and laundry were done, I was suddenly not feeling well (thank you, continuing abdominal issues...). And, after Jon and I came to an understanding that I was not upset with him over anything and that I was just feeling poorly, we (I) had a good chat where he was such an encouragement to me. It reminded me exactly why I love him and cannot wait to marry him and spend the rest of my life with him. I am blessed beyond any measure that I could put it up against.

Speaking of wedding and marriage...exactly 2 months from today, Jon and I will be getting married! We're currently at 60 days and 16 hours (and change in minutes). I am getting more and more excited about it and cannot wait for that day to get here! Standing between me are moving, final exams, graduation, moving (twice, essentially), getting back into the swing of things at work...and whatever else may be thrown in there. I'm ready and counting down the days!

No comments:

Post a Comment