Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fall break fun

Tomorrow is the last day of my fall break from school. I have enjoyed being back home and getting back to work for a few days. But now, I'm ready to go back to school. Work is my break from school...and school is my break from work.

This week, I worked 12 hours on the south side of the county, with which I am very familiar since I grew up there. I enjoy working down here for a few reasons, first of which is that my commute to work is very short. I can get to 4 different rigs in under 15 minutes. We did not do much patient care that day -- only two calls. However, we toured the entire east and south side of the county. And, we got a new rig. It rode so much better than the one we were on for the first half of the day. (And when I say "new"...I mean brand-spankin'-new. Just inspected by OEMS and put into service for the first time by myself and partner.)

Yesterday, I played in "the city," or center of the county. I like these trucks (city rigs) because they provide a variety of calls to keep me "entertained" and steady throughout the day (and sometimes throughout the night, unfortunately). I would rather be busy than not (nothing to do leads to being bored). The reason I don't like these trucks is because of the long haul into work -- and the busyness of the shift (yes, I like it busy...but I want time to breathe). I think we ran 15 calls that shift...I stopped counting after 10 (and I got too tired to even remember). We were short a rig during the day...and had several down during the night (4, I think). It made for a long shift (we put enough miles on the truck that I could have gone to Boone and back...400+ miles) -- but a good one. We helped some people and made their days just a little better.

I came home this morning, whipped and exhausted, and crawled into bed and slept for about 2 or 3 hours. It felt wonderful! I got up and was productive with some schoolwork that needs to be done and then fell asleep again while watching a movie. It, too, felt wonderful. I don't think I'll have much trouble sleeping tonight, despite all my napping today. I'm getting too old to do these all-nighters. I feel it for days -- from sleepiness to soreness. It's just one of those things...

Tomorrow, I'm heading to my home church before it's back to Boone. I'll be back in two weeks to work a weekend shift in November and then back again at Thanksgiving. For now, I'll worry about the next two weeks of school. Then, it's time to start thinking about the dash to the finish. It's hard to believe that I am close to finishing my next to last semester of undergrad......

No comments:

Post a Comment