Monday, October 4, 2010

How to solve boredom

I'm sitting at home this morning bored.

Why?

Well, there are several potential reasons. First, I completed the film that I needed to watch for film class and it was rather boring. I have another one to watch and know that it will also be terrible so I'm not going to put myself through that right now. Second (I might should have stated this first), I'm home because I have no morning classes today. It's a nice change not to have to be up at the crack of dawn...but I am anyway. I think I'll be back to morning classes across the board next semester. These evening classes are annoying. Lastly, I might be procrastinating and thus am bored because I'm not being productive. (*Hint* All of the above are likely true.)

So, how to cure boredom. I often struggle with finding this cure. As a paramedic, I don't usually do well with down time. I find things to do. When I'm at work, I stir up trouble when I get too bored (or I take a nap -- either works). I like the busyness. I like to have things to do. So, here are things I do when I'm bored:


  1. Write a blog post. Of course, something interesting must come to mind (or, I at least hope it is interesting).
  2. Craft. This is one of my favorite things to do...of all time. In my past, I have made jewelry, cards, Christmas ornaments and done scrapbooking. About 6 months ago, I started knitting. I need to get back on the scarf that I started. It is only about 12 inches long and that will not do me much good as the weather is turning colder now.
  3. Cook or bake. Also something I really enjoy (and Jon seems to enjoy me cooking -- seems to be one of my uses). I am slowly expanding my repertoire of foods and recipes. 
  4. Write a letter. Someone would love to get one and it's fun to keep in touch with old friends.
  5. Read a book. I'm not much of a reader but every now and again I get in the mood to read a book.
  6. Do a puzzle. Do something that will challenge the brain. An example: Sudoku puzzles or word puzzles.
  7. Play a game. Find someone and play a game of cards or some board game. (Haha...board games to stop being bored. Hehe. No? Okay...)
  8. Go for a walk. Get some fresh air and clear your head. Maybe that will help with the boredom and give you other ideas of something to do. (And, it's good for you.)
  9. Stop procrastinating. (This one is more directed at me.) Do what you need to do but have no desire to do. That will give you something to do, even if that thing is also terribly boring.
  10. Make your own list of things to do when you're bored. Because, by now, you are likely not as bored (or you're worse off and didn't make it through the list). But, next time you're bored, you'll have you're own list to go to of things to do.
And now, it's time to get ready for class. And that solves my boredom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment