Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Which way would you want to die?

I think of lots of things like this...which can feel very morbid and creep out other people, specifically my friends, if I were to talk about it. Fortunately, they have learned about this morbid sense of humor I have developed and tolerate it...to a point. Anyway...

I have witnessed a few different ways to die. What crosses my mind is, if I had a choice, how would I choose to die? Not so much the cause of my death (cardiac arrest, cancer, etc..) but the pace at which death happens. I'm going to discuss what I feel are "pros" and "cons" to dying each of these ways.

  1. Instant death (seconds) -- the positive behind this is little no suffering. I'm not a big fan of pain so this aspect of it is rather appealing. However, there is no chance to tell those you love "good bye." Although I am a huge proponent of not leaving things unsaid that you will regret not having said if you don't have the chance, I am not sure I would be too pleased if I didn't get that final chance to say "I love you." (Of course, if this is my death, I won't live to regret or be upset over either of these.)
  2. Not-so-instant death, but still pretty quick (minutes-hour) -- what I am imagining here is a motor vehicle collision in which you do not die instantly but survive long enough to see the ambulance arrive or even make it to the emergency department before you die. For this, all I see is pain and not being able to see your loved ones for a final time. No thank you.
  3. Dying post-surgery (hours-days) -- here, I imagine that you made it through the initial trauma or medical crisis and have survived the surgery but are in such critical condition that you expire soon thereafter. The problem here becomes whether or not you are sedated (medically induced coma). With this, so long as I have the not sedated option, I'll be okay with this. I understand that there will be pain, and likely lots of it. But, for me, getting to see my loved ones that last time would very likely outweigh the problems with pain.
  4. Short illness (weeks-months) -- this might be something like a respiratory problem that became problematic like the flu or some other disease. Typically, this type of thing is only true as someone ages. I would be okay with this option. I know that the potential is there for me to die (because of this particular ailment) and I have the chance for a good bye to most of the people who are close to me.
  5. Long illness (months-years) -- an example here would be something like cancer or dementia. Now, between these two, I'll take the cancer option over dementia. I've seen first hand how someone with dementia can be a burden (for me, one I gladly bore) on the loved ones who are care takers. The person is unable to express their love to anyone...or really, express anything of meaning. It's hard. With something closer on the lines of cancer, you can typically say that you'll have your senses about you and can continue to express your love for others.
So, those are my thoughts about this matter. I am completely undecided which way I would want to go...but, I have no control over the matter so I suppose it really doesn't matter what I would prefer or not prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment