Monday, October 11, 2010

My annual tradition

So, yesterday was my birthday. I don't like birthdays, specifically mine. I enjoy celebrating the birthdays of others...but not mine. I hate being the center of attention. I really don't like it. However, with every year comes another birthday. It has become this sort of annual tradition.

This year was a pretty good one. I made it clear I didn't want groups of people singing to me or putting me at the center of attention for every one around. And, I got exactly what I wanted: a nice and quiet birthday. Jon sang to me...but that was it. And I'm okay with that. No one made an excessively big deal over it. Just the way I like it.

Here's a look over the past year...

This last year has been absolutely wonderful! I finished my first term up at Appalachian just a few short weeks after my birthday. I enjoyed my time in Boone a lot (although one might not know that because I went home just about every weekend that first semester). I came back for Christmas break to my wonderful boyfriend (and that's why I came home most of those weekends...) and he got to meet my family. He accepted them for their craziness and strangeness (he may have a better understanding as to my quirkiness now).


In January, I returned to Boone...and this time, Jon was coming with me. :) Before we started dating, we each had made independent decisions to come to Appalachian (or come back in his case). We came to our own decision and still didn't share it with the other for a while. It was great that it all worked out how it did. I greatly enjoyed having him in Boone with me. It made the snowy days more bearable to have Jon here.

We each survived the spring semester (though, I think it should be called the "winter semester" seeing as snow was on the ground for more than half of it). It wasn't long before we were back in Boone for the summer. Each of us took summer classes for both sessions -- and that made for a long summer. In my case, it allows me to finish school this coming May. It makes it easier to graduate in May specifically because I don't have to worry about trying to get a lease for 6 months or, harder still, to find someone to sublease from me (which I am not inclined to do because of my previous roommate experience). So, a May graduation...as long as I don't screw something up between now and then.

We had two weeks off and then we were right back here in Boone. Fall semester is in full swing and midterms are fast approaching. Jon and I went home this past weekend for a wedding and we returned last night.

It was a simple day. Spent the entire day with the most amazing guy in the whole world. I couldn't have asked for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment