Sunday, November 21, 2010

Japanese cuisine

This past week, I attempted to make my first Japanese meal. I have never tried to do this before now. I made a trial run on Wednesday and it turned out marvelously! The real run was today, with Jon. This is where I find out if it's a keeper or not. (He claims that it is and he'll gladly eat it again.)

So, a friend posted this recipe on her blog this week and I thought it sounded delicious. I like Japanese and Chinese cuisine -- but I'm very picky about what I will eat. Basically, my food choices are sweet and sour chicken and hibachi chicken. What I made this week and today, hibachi chicken (definitely an Americanized version...but close enough).

What you need:
  • chicken
  • soy sauce
  • teriyaki sauce
  • rice
  • eggs
  • vegetable oil
  • veggies you might like (zucchini, squash, etc are suggestions from her -- Jon and I don't like many veggies)
  • white sauce (also called seafood sauce)

How you do it:
  1. Cut up chicken into bite-sized pieces. Prepare a hot skillet with vegetable oil and cook chicken half way. Then, add teriyaki sauce and simmer on low until the chicken is completely cooked. (She recommends covering the skillet while cooking in the sauce. I don't have one with a lid and it worked fine without it.)
  2. Cook up the amount of rice you would like. (She recommends "day-old" rice. I made mine fresh and it worked fine.) Mix in soy sauce to taste. (Adds flavor and color to the dish.)
  3. Scramble 2 eggs in a frying pan. Once finished, mix it in with the rice.

To serve it up:
  • Plate some rice.
  • Top with chicken.
  • Top that with white sauce.

Then enjoy! I found it delicious and I hope you do the same.

1 comment: