Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Restaurant review: Dan'l Boone Inn

Last weekend, I took my fiancé out for breakfast at the Dan'l Boone Inn restaurant here in Boone, North Carolina. Since my arrival in Boone for school nearly 18 months ago, I had been wanting to try this restaurant. I have heard many good things about it, especially the country ham. I was not disappointed.

This is a quaint little country style restaurant complete with country-style uniforms the staff wear. Here, the meals are family-style. You are served bowls and plates of food from which you pick and choose what you want. When a dish is emptied, your server will grab it and bring you fresh and delicious food. Anything that you can eat is yours for the taking. Here is what we were served:
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Bacon
  • Sausage patties
  • Country ham
  • Stewed apples
  • Biscuits
  • Cinnamon bread
  • Grits
  • Redeye gravy
  • Cream gravy
  • Black cherry preserves
  • Orange juice and water to drink

I can only speak to the first 7 items on that list (I may be southern but I really don't like grits -- and no gravy or preserves for me); however, I can say that each of those were absolutely delicious! The ham...oh my goodness...amazing! It was rather salty but I know this is generally the norm with country ham (though it was saltier than I remember it being at other places). The stewed apples were great! Mixed with the slices of apples were chopped up apples that made it like warm applesauce. It was really good. Biscuits were soft, warm and very tasty. They reminded me of the biscuits my great-grandmother used to make. The cinnamon bread was really good, too. I had never had anything like it before.

So, everything was absolutely delicious. At about $9 ($8.95) per meal, this was a fantastic meal for a great price. Neither Jon or I were hungry for the rest of the day so, we essentially paid $9 for a full day's worth of food. Now, I realize that this means I over-ate while there...but, it was worth it.

The dinner menu consists of the following foods:
  • Fried chicken
  • Country style steak
  • Country ham biscuits
  • Green beans
  • Corn
  • Stewed apples
  • Coleslaw
  • Biscuits
  • Dessert
  • Soup or salad
  • A drink

All of this can be yours for $15.95. This meal is also served family-style and you can eat as much as you can hold in that stomach of yours. I, personally, think that it's a great price for that much food. I can't speak to anything on the dinner menu that is not on the breakfast menu but perhaps I can elaborate on in before I finish my time here in Boone in May.

If you leave the Dan'l Boone Inn hungry, it's nobody's fault but your own!

You can find more information about the restaurant here.

No comments:

Post a Comment