Saturday, January 8, 2011

Welcome back to Boone!

Jon and I made the trip to head back to Boone yesterday in preparation for the new semester to begin on Monday. We were greeted by some not-so-lovely white stuff falling from the sky, already on the ground and trying desperately to stick to the roads (it eventually did but it allowed us to get each of us home and make a grocery run). I told Jon I might not be so upset over more snow had we not had the 8+ inches back home over break. In some ways (mostly through that and the ice event the first day we were back), I feel like I didn't even leave Boone. The positive side is that it's pretty. :)
Outside the front door of my apartment.

When I went to bed last night, that pavement
was black and there wasn't any snow on the cars.

So, classes are scheduled to start on Monday. I'm not sure if that will happen or not. The next 6 days have snow on the forecast and, apparently, the first few days of this (i.e.: through Tuesday) are supposed to bring us a big storm with lots of snow fall. I know the AppalCart is not running today (though I haven't been outside to look at the road conditions). If AppalCart doesn't run, the campus doesn't open for classes because so many (most off-campus) students rely on AppalCart to get them to and from campus. I told Dad before we left that I'm not sure if we should even head up to Boone because I'm not sure how much class-ification will be occurring this week. He, being the "voice of reason", said that it's good to be up there just to be prepared.

I'm still hoping the snow does not interfere with my travel plans for the upcoming weekend. I would like to head home on Thursday night (Friday morning works too) so that I can go shopping with 2 of my 3 bridesmaids to look for dresses for them. I also am trying to meet with a friend to see if she can give some ideas about decorating for the wedding (both the reception and ceremony). She has had her hand in so many weddings and other events around the church that require decorations and creativity that she would be perfect for helping me!

We're still trying to settle up on a date. There's a "conflict" of sorts with our first choice but in some ways, that date works better for us (we know some of the vendors are available that date and not on the other one). We'll try and get that figured out soon and then I'll have an actual date to plan toward. Right now, I just have a month. So, let's get that date nailed down!

No comments:

Post a Comment