Monday, February 21, 2011

My twist on "aloha chicken"

There is a cookbook that I was given several years ago that has LOTS of delicious recipes in it. I haven't made nearly 1/4 of them but the ones I have tried have not been disappointing. One of my favorites is called "aloha chicken". Delicious! First I'll give you the original recipe and then I'll share my twist on it with you.


Original recipe:
  • Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 pieces)
  • Russian dressing (8 ounces)
  • Apricot or peach jam (8 ounces)
  • Dry onion soup mix (1 package)

Mix the dressing, jam and soup mix together. Pour over your chicken and bake in the oven for 1 hour at 375 degrees (or for 4 hours at 225 degrees -- never done that one before).
(My personal preference for the jam is to use peach (for this version). I have never liked apricots...but it's a personal preference.)

Now, here's my twist:
  • Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 pieces)
  • Russian dressing (8 ounces)
  • Pineapple preserves (8 ounces)
  • Dry onion soup mix (1 package)
  • Pineapple tidbits (juice drained)

Mix the dressing, preserves and soup mix together. Pour the mixture over your chicken. Add the pineapple tidbits in and around the chicken in the dish. (Some juice is nice to mix in there, but not too much.) Cook the same way for the first version: 1 hour at 375 degrees.

Either way, I serve it over rice with some vegetables or other bits of fruit. My fiancĂ© has never complained about it either way...and actually seems to enjoy them both, including my new variation on it. It was delicious! Hope you can enjoy it just as much as we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment